Issue # 309 | 23 December 2014

 

 

 

STUDENT FIRST!

YOUR BI-WEEKLY GUIDE TO SCHOOL CHOICE

 

 

RESEARCH, REPORTS AND PAPERS




Majority Leader Eric Cantor: School Choice Is a Threat to the Status Quo

FRED DEWS


"School choice is a threat to the status quo," House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) said yesterday at an event at Brookings to unveil the third annual Education Choice and Competition Index (ECCI). During the event, hosted by the Brown Center on Education Policy, Leader Cantor, citing the ECCI, claimed that "America is in the midst of an education revolution, with a shift towards more choice for families," a shift he said is important because: [America] cannot be a great country without great schools. I think education, in so many ways, represents the answer to not only the kids' futures, but the future of those communities, the future competitiveness of our country, and … future success in trying to lift folks out of poverty.

 

FULL PAPER >>




Support for School Choice Continues to Grow

JASON BEDRICK



Today, Education Next released its latest survey results on education policy. As with the Friedman Foundation’s survey earlier this year and previous Education Next surveys, scholarship tax credits (STCs) remain the most popular form of private educational choice. STCs garnered support from 60% of respondents compared to 50% support for universal school vouchers and only 37% support for low-income vouchers.

 

 

 

FULL PAPER >>




 

 

A Flexible Mobile Education System Approach

ARZU BALOGLU




Distance learning is appealing to small business owners, employees, municipalities, state establishments, non-governmental organizations. Distance-learning are ideal for people who have a full-time job or other commitments, who can’t take time off to study full time. This might be a professional who needs to update his knowledge or skills, or a mother who wants to refresh her qualifications before re-entering the labor market.




FULL PAPER >>




Is loss of autonomy trapping higher education?

RITU BHANDARI

 

In our last weekly your view, we asked you whether higher education institutions not enjoying autonomy in matters of policy is an important reason for poor quality graduates in our country. Out of 18 poll takers, 94 % of you agreed with the above statement while the remaining 6 % of you disagreed. Today, when India has achieved almost universal enrollment of elementary education, there is a huge population of first generation learners accompanied by parents with aspirations and awareness about what education can do. A large percentage of our country’s poor parents are aware and want to send their children to college.




FULL PAPER >>




CCS RESEARCH

 

School Closures in Haryana: Learning from past experiences

ARJUN MALHOTRA



This paper seeks to bring much needed attention to the problem of school closures due to Sections 18 and 19 of the Right to Education Act, 2009 with a case study of four schools in one district of Haryana. This paper documents the problems schools in Haryana faced because of Haryana School Education Rules, 2003 and makes an attempt to extrapolate those problems to the current situation. This research revealed myriad of problems that plague the education sector in Haryana like inability of budget private schools to comply with the norms, lax attitude of government schools in adhering with the norms and massive corruption in the education sector. It provides policy recommendations and arguments based on past experiences of school closures in Haryana as to why existing schools could meet with the same fate as those schools. The findings of this research are only tentative and further in- depth research needs to be conducted on this topic.




FULL PAPER >>




Per Child Funding Formula in Indian education: Analysis and Applications

NAYANTARA NATH



Computation of per child funding in education in India is done in the most dubious of ways, by pre-determining the total allocation and then dividing it by the total enrolment in the country. This is highly problematic as the allocation rarely acts as a guiding factor for the actual expenditure, and the total enrolment in the country is a highly inflated and unreliable estimate. This, in turn, implies that there is a great deal of inefficiency in calculating and dispersing the funds in education.




FULL PAPER >>

 



Brought to you by School Choice Campaign and The RTE Platform

Centre for Civil Society | A 69, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016 IN

 

Feedback/contributions: schoolchoice@ccs.in

RTE-related queries: info@righttoeducation.in


Facebook // Twitter // YouTube

 

Disclaimer: Copyrights remain with the original authors/publishers

SchoolChoice.in

 

RightToEducation.in


CCS